|What used to be Eysines railway station, now a private home.|
|The entrance to the camp was around this spot on Rue Déès. Note the spire of Eysines church in the distance.|
|Source: Porte du Médoc, |
full-size version here.
Finally, the camp was taken over by the Ministère des Colonies and became home to Indochinese (Vietnamese) workers who had initially been brought over to mainland France to provide extra manpower. Of France’s 27,000 wartime Indochinese immigrants, it is thought that 2,000 worked at the Saint-Médard gunpowder factory! Repatriation measures were long and drawn out and, from 1945 to 1946 and possibly 1947, many were lodged at the Eysines camp, receiving rations from the French State which caused much envy among the locals.
|A reminder that the cycle path is not far away.|
- Find it: the main entrance was near 4 Rue du Déès and the camp extended between Rues de Marne, du Vignan and Aladin Miqueau, Eysines; former Eysines railway station.
- Read the full story on Porte du Médoc here, and eye-witness testimonials here.